PFP Members Promote Sustainability Throughout Their Operations
PFP member companies are actively implementing sustainable solutions throughout our facilities and are working to contribute to the creation of a sustainable world. We continue to lead this charge, not just through our innovative products, but through our best practices and organizational culture. We are a global group that prides itself in working to advance sustainability efforts in countries throughout the world.
Fluoropolymers Are Part of the Solution:
Sustainability efforts around the world rely on fluoropolymers to achieve energy savings and circularity. For instance, by enhancing product durability, fluoropolymers extend the lifecycle of many important products, preserving resources and preventing excess waste.
Also, due to their unique properties, fluoropolymers provide enhanced energy efficiency, support for alternative energy, product durability/longevity, improved process safety, and more. For example:
- Fluoropolymers are a key element of fuel cell and lithium ion battery technology;
- Fluoropolymer fuel tubes and hoses drastically reduce fugitive emissions and enable automakers to achieve Low-Emission Vehicle (LEV) III emissions standards;
- Fluoropolymer release films allow for the manufacture of carbon fiber reinforced composite structural components that provide lighter weight and fuel efficiency for both aerospace and automotive applications;
- Fluoropolymers increase the production efficiency of solar photovoltaic (PV) cells; and
- Fluoropolymer gaskets and seals are used across many industries to prevent leaks and environmental releases.
Global sustainability efforts need fluoropolymers.
- Fluoropolymers are used in various components of renewable energy installations, which will be necessary to reach the EU’s ambitious decarbonization goals. They provide insulation, improved durability, efficiency, and safety in products such as lithium batteries and fuel cells for energy storage. This facilitates sustainable renewable installations in greater numbers and new locations. They also provide electrical insulation in the wiring of many critical components that are contained within solar panels.
- Fluoropolymers also help enable the recently published Hydrogen Strategy, which sets a 13% target for clean ‘green’ hydrogen in the energy mix by 2050. Fuel cells use fluoropolymer membranes to convert hydrogen to electricity, which is crucial to reach the hydrogen energy target. Some of the most common components in hydrogen power storage and production, including fuel cells and electrolyzers used in water, are built with fluoropolymers.
- Fluoropolymers are utilized in automobile components such as fuel lines, fuel hoses, O-rings, turbocharger hoses, and hoses in hydraulic systems, as well as electric vehicles, for their unique combination of properties. They help prevent leaks and breakdowns, while reducing Green House Gasses (GHG) emissions – especially important given Euro 7 emission standards expected to be implemented in 2020, with a CO2 emission target of 95 grams per kilometer.
We Want to Work With You
We know there is much more work to do for a sustainable future. Performance Fluoropolymer Partnership members want to work with governments and organizations around the world to partner on sustainable solutions and strong, science based regulatory efforts.